"Sea Level Pianos" (long!)

Don Rose drose@sask.maple.net
Fri, 05 Jan 1996 12:30:25 -0800

Dear Ed:

>John,
>     I am hard pressed to see what difference the barometric pressure would
>have at 4000 feet,

The lower the Barometer the lower the actual moisture content of the wood.  Also the lower the
number of air molecules per c.c. This makes it harder to control the humidity level.

>     Our weather conditions here in Vermont aren't all that different from
>those which yhou are discribing (last night -10 degrees F and over a foot of
>snow fell last night.  All day today the temperature stayed below 0 degrees F)

Calgary can be -24 F one day and +10 the next. The have a name for this called a Shunook.  The
air flows are deflected by the mountain ranges.

>We don't seem to have as big a problem as you seem to have - when we have
>control over the environment.  Give it a try, I think you will be a lot
>happier when you are controling the elements (at least in the piano areas)
>rather than letting the weather control you.
>Ed Hilbert

What is necessary is a very beefed up Dampp-Chaser System on each piano. And someone to fill
them. And someone to change the wicks. And floor length covers.

Regards, Don Rose RPT

drose@sask.maple.net