Journals on Disk

Don Rose drose@sask.maple.net
Fri, 05 Jan 1996 12:30:27 -0800

Dear John:

>Besides the discussions on this list, I've read elsewhere that this project
>would not be expensive, that 10 years of Journal article text would fit on
>eight diskettes

Most people have little hard drive space. If the last ten years were available in any electronic
format. I would still jump at it!

>Another issue discussed here on PianoTech is the need for PTG to have its
>own Listserver or BBS,

Hear Hear!

>Our committee needs your expertise on what the options and costs are, and
>how it would work.

> Would we purchase hardware for the Home Office, or rent
>space from an Internet provider?  Can the HO staff monitor/maintain a
>listserver?

If  home office had it's own system, then costs would be lower in the long run.

>A big organization like PTG may not be able to move fast, but at the same
>time it probably can move too slow.

The journal is wonderful but of limited use--last night I re read the issue about ivory--and
already I don't know which month that was in.

>The Board meets just twice a year,
>but to their credit, they have made positive decisions concerning our use
>of this technology exactly that often (such as approving the upload of PTG

They could meet electonical using a shareware program called VID Call

>(a separate post coming on the question of whether to go with the
>text-based

Please don't do text based only except as a stop gap.

>or graphics-based approach to Journals on Disk)

One picture is worth 1,000 words.

I firmly believe that every word in the journal in printed form should be in any electronic
form. In fact, I would prefer to receive my Journal "on line" thus saving greatly on mailing
costs!

Regards, Don Rose, RPT

drose@sask.maple.net