Single loops pros & cons

Dave Doremus dbd01@www.gnofn.org
Sat, 06 Jan 1996 20:20:15 -0600 (CST)

On Fri, 5 Jan 1996 ATodd@UH.EDU wrote:

> Mitch,
>    To me, the biggest advantage of the single loops is that when one breaks,
> you always have 2 strings left on a given note.
>    The biggest "con" is having to make those loops & trying to make them look
> as neat as the originals around them.

I restring a lot of 19th C pianos with single loops and find that after
the first couple the job goes just as fast as an ordinary one. Keep a
nail of the right size next to you so you dont have to step away from the
piano to make the loop and you'll have no problem. Chip to pitch and tap
the loops tight and chip again and it should be stable just as fast as
any other stringing job.

Dave Doremus
dbd01@www.gnofn.org
New Orleans

Music came first; then the scales...; then...the theorists to explain them.
And as they knew more of mathematics than of musical history they laid down
laws which, in actual fact, no human being had ever obeyed.    (Percy Buck)