Pricing Policies

Don Rose drose@sask.maple.net
Sat, 06 Jan 1996 20:47:20 -0800

>     Don, this may be unfair considering distances to populated areas
>     there, but where does "on the road" kick in, whether miles/kilometers
>     from your normal service area?
>
>     Regards, Jim Harvey RPT

I try to be fair--if I can book a client as the last tuning of the day then the charge does not
apply within 25 kilometers (one way). But if the client wants a "day time" appointment then the
distance charge applies after 15 kilometers. I picked these num
bers on the basis of my average city driving and the greatest distance that I drive in the city.

I originally wrote a computer program for "out of town" work which produced a price quote based
on the number of kilometers, the number of pianos, the cost for meals, and the cost for hotel.
It was written for my trusty Commodore 64 computer on which I ra
n my business for 6 years.

I intend to discontinue "out of town" work when I am 55. There will be occasional exceptions
like the couple who have two 6'9" pianos with consecutive serial numbers.

I find the "out of pocket costs" such as hotel, gas and meals are covered by the $15.00 charge.
This does not include labor for driving time and mileage or depreciation on my car.

I believe that on this basis if I have a "day trip" I break even. If I overnight, I lose. The
"extra" costs if passed along to the client would be nearer $30.00 per tuning.

Regards, Don Rose, RPT drose@sask.maple.net