Bell Pianos (longish post)

Rob Kiddell atonal@planet.eon.net
Tue, 09 Jan 1996 08:08:35 -0700

        Not only did Bell pianos use WN & G actions with the compensater
bar, but from what I can discern on the last 3 Bells I have worked on (all
pre-1920) but I suspect that either Bell was using 'jobber' actions and
putting their name on it. The actions all have 'Bell' stamped on the letoff
rail, with no other identifying marks on the actions, other than a serial #
on the back . No compensating rails on these either. All had brass butt
rails (joy oh bliss)

Reg. Notes. The Illimitable Repeater is a wonderful feature if set up
properly. When regulating, use your handy-dandy Hart spring tool to adjust
curvature of the repeater spring, too much curve and the spring will contact
the letoff rail, while the jacks will be held against the butt leather by
the tension. Not enough curve will allow the springs to hit the jack below
the jack felt, resulting in clicking. The repeater will not function worth a
hoot.

Also, I am convinced that Bell used too thick a butt leather to cushion some
of the jack force. Regulation problems arise when you are configuring
escapement and the jack fails to clear the leather even with excessive
aftertouch and the catcher well out of the way. The leather I've measured is
usually 3-3.5 mm ( 0.12 -.14")  twice as thick as usual. When rebuilding, I
replace both the butt and catcher leather, and regulation improves
dramatically.

Replacing  broken repeater strings: I have a series of photos that I did in
my shop outlining the replacement of broken strings, if you find several
broken, chances are, the stress of regulation & playing will take care of
the rest, so complete replacement becomes necessary. It is worth it from a
performance standpoint. BTW, I have these pictures on my machine in .BMP
format. e-mail me if you are interested in them.

Note to Don Rose: I have a 1919 52" upright Bell # 31100 next to my desk
here... it's my baby!!

Gotta get to work...
Rob Kiddell
C.A.P.T.