Rep. Lever Springs

LRN4A440@aol.com LRN4A440@aol.com
Tue, 09 Jan 1996 10:15:33 -0500

I remember Yamaha stating that they tested the two designs and found the
butterfly to be faster and more stable.  Perhaps there was a little PR
towards the Steinway type but at the time (1978) Yamaha was very independent.
 Additionally, the butterfly eliminates the potential for the loop design to
deteriorate and break (oh, those wonderful silk loops of yesteryear).

Anyway, I find that the butterfly is a very stable spring adjustment that
over time gets a little stronger.  By the way, bending the spring has always
been respresented to me as a no-no.  Unhooking it from the balancier and then
gently lifting up or pushing down has been the way I was advised to change
its tension.  This has the dual effect of also strenghthening (or lessening)
the Jack spring portion of the butterfly.  With practice, it doesn't seem to
take very long.  At least that's been my experience.

Larry Newhouse, LRN4A440@AOL.Com
San Francisco Conservatory of Music