Humidifier location in a grand piano

PIANOBIZ@aol.com PIANOBIZ@aol.com
Tue, 09 Jan 1996 23:45:17 -0500

Gayle
Welcome aboard!  Glad to see the manufacturers involved with their clients
and their products. And thanks for your recent reply to my query on the
location of the humidifier below the frame, especially on a Steinway B.
My regional feedback in regards to your recent post on that Steinway D with
100 watts would be, don't be afraid to recommend plenty of heat for the
summertime under these New England pianos,( Bill Ballard lives in New
Hampshire).  We have monitored the installations by placing a small light
under the piano to go on coincidentally with the heating rods.  If the
heating rods are on so is the light, get it?  Well we found that the light
was never going out with the standard installation during the summer.  This
simple test told us that the system wanted more heat.  On a Steinway A we
settled on the 50, 38, and 25 Watt rod installation as needed to trigger the
threshold response at 42degrees RH. during our summer months. On a Steinway
D, being three feet longer, I would bet more rods would be required.  You
might think me crazy, but I'd start with two fifties, one behind the keybed,
one down the spine, a 25 at the tail going across and a 38 down the kidney
shape.  Am I getting too carried away?  Nothing wrong with a stable piano.
 As you might imagine I'm a good customer.

David Sanderson
PIANOBIZ@aol.com
Littleton, MA