Rep. Lever Springs

Keith A. McGavern kam544@ionet.net
Tue, 09 Jan 1996 22:08:12 -0600

>Doug Hershberger, RPT posted
>P.S. I have been quilty of lurking also but when I did post a question about
>purposeful de-travelling of Steinway hammers for spacing purposes I got a
>very poor response. I expected more of a discussion about hammers travelling
>the shortest distance or loss of power etc. or maybe why a company such as
>Steinway would take the position of, "it is better to look good than to be
>right" if that is in fact what they do. Just wondering.

Doug,
There is no way Steinway & Sons takes the position you put in quotes.
Anyone can refer to Steinway & Sons Technical Reference Guide, pages 28-34
and find in writing, their position on traveling, burning, and spacing
hammers.

Now an individual technician might deviate from that position, but Steinway
& Sons does not.

I would liken this preposterous suggestion unto this:
The State of California puts up stop signs for the express purpose of motor
vehicles coming to a complete stop, and then someone from the DMV
suggesting that the State of California says forget all that, because it
looks better rolling through a stop sign rather than stopping.

Once again I say, only an individual can not abide in what is required or
specified, but their demonstration does not make it the rule.  It only
makes it what they do at the time they do it.

Keith A. McGavern, RPT
Oklahoma Chapter 731
Oklahoma Baptist University
Shawnee, Oklahoma