prepped piano

John Minor jminor@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu
Wed, 10 Jan 1996 21:18:03 -0600

On Wed, 10 Jan 1996, Alan Rudolph Zajicek wrote:

> Our S&S D is to be used by the pianist from the St. Louis Symphony on
> Tues. 1-16-96.  She wants to mark nodes on the strings for plucking
> purposes with a "special wax pencil".  Following the performance she will
> remove the markings with a "special solvent that will not in any way
> damage the piano".  Evidently they have done this on pianos "all over the
> world", and have never run into any problems.  I am curious as to what
> these items are and if anyone has any input.  Thanks in advance.
>
> Al Zajicek  R.P.T.

      Al: They used our Hamburg for this piece a few months back. I
wasn't sure just what she used, but during the intermission she pulled a
small bag out of her purse and used a cleaner and cotton swab to remove
any residue on the strings. Needless to say, I was impressed! She did
leave one little self-adhesive 1/4" diameter white circle on one of the
strings. "Not a big deal!" Good luck.

John Minor
Piano Technician
University of Illinois