Was Re: Rep. Lever Springs, now Guests

allen@pengar.com allen@pengar.com
Wed, 10 Jan 1996 20:14:51 +0000

> >/Allen, South Jordan, Utah posted:
> >Jack has said several times recently that this list exists for
> >university techs, implying that we who are not working for a college
> >are here as guests.  We shouldn't be surprised that the guests don't
> >say much.
>
> >another lurker who still hopes for a new list that is open to all in
> >which we newbies feel free to ask our "dumb" questions
>

> I am having trouble with this word "guest", or maybe I am having trouble
> with how I am perceiving it is being used in regards to Pianotech.  I
> service a university, yet I feel like a guest at times.  I don't feel I
> have a free license, but a priviledged license to be here.
>
> And as mundane as this might sound, my idea of a guest is someone who
> doesn't have to ask if they can use the bathroom in my home, I have already
> indicated to them where it is.  That is what I perceive in Jack Reeves
> invitation.
>
> In much the same fashion, I would suspect that a "guest" would not have to
> ask permission to ask a question that is pertinent to their piano
> profession.  However, there is no guarantee that the responses received
> will be to one's liking, if any are even received at all.  No one is
> afforded that luxury in this medium.  Responses come as a result of honest,
> courteous, sincere, and/or respectful posts.
>
> Hoping for a new list may or may not be a constructive path.  However, I
> have not seen the owner of this list say, "You are not invited."

Hi Keith,

I remember three specific times that Jack said that BYU is funding
this list to provide communication between university techs.  Jack
was very specific in saying it was for university techs.  He didn't
say it was for techs who have their own businesses, he didn't say it
was for newbies like me who have lots of questions, he said it was
for university techs.  Since I can't read his mind, I have no choice
but to take his words as he gave them and try to interpret them.  The
message I get from his words is that the list exists to satisfy the
needs of university techs.  I'm sure he would also say that others
are welcome to subscribe, ask questions, and answer questions.  But,
the primary purpose of the list is for university techs, and I assume
Jack would not want the level of non-university traffic to be so
great that the university people didn't have time to wade through
everything looking for things that pertain to their work.

Yes, I feel like I'm welcome to be a member of this list, and I feel
like my postings would be welcome.  But, guess what, Keith?  I do
feel like a guest because I don't fit Jack's announced charter for
the list.  I am hesitant to ask my  questions because my questions
don't fit the charter of this list.

The thing that I would really like to have is a list or a newsgroup for tuners and
technicians of all walks of life, one in which the charter of it
covered me.  Then I would feel like I "belonged" to it would feel at
ease in asking my questions and trying to answer questions of those
who are even newer than I.  There has been some recent discussion
about forming a new list for PTG business.  On thing that might be
considered is using this list for that, since PTG business is of
concern to university techs, and use the new list for general
discussions for tuners and techs of all backgrounds.

I don't know, Keith, if any of this makes sense to you, but that I
how I perceive things.  I understant that I'm "invited", but I don't
feel welcome to say much considering Jack's repeated posting of the
charter of the list.  I don't mean anything personal towards Jack.
I've met him in person and attended his basic tuning class.  He is a
nice person and excellent tech.  I understand that he has an
agreement with BYU and that he needs to protect that agreement.

/Allen Leigh
South Jordan, Utah (not far from Provo)