Was Rep. Lever Springs, now hammer traveling, Steinway

Keith A. McGavern kam544@ionet.net
Wed, 10 Jan 1996 13:53:58 -0600

>Doug Hershberger, RPT posted:
>...It is my understanding that Steinway would advocate spacing the hammers
>so they
>look even and then de-travel them so they hit the string correctly.  I believe
>it is minor and mostly limited to the tenor section.  BTW, this technique is
>not published in their manual...

Doug, there are statements in the Steinway & Sons Technical Reference Guide
concerning what the company advocates:

"All hammers should travel in a straight and vertical path." page 28

"--It is acceptable to space the trichord strings in the v-bar section to
the hammers.  This can be achieved only if the hammers are evenly spaced,
correctly traveled and properly spaced within the scale.  Take caution not
to move the strings too close to the dampr wire which will cause buzzes."
page 32

Now an individual technician or representative might recommend or do
something other than the above, but Steinway & Sons has clearly gone on
record as to what is correct.

Keith A. McGavern, RPT
Oklahoma Chapter 731
Oklahoma Baptist University