Damper lifter rod hooks

lessmith@buffnet7.buffnet.net lessmith@buffnet7.buffnet.net
Thu, 11 Jan 1996 15:59:11 -0500 (EST)

> Greetings all,
>
> Can someone describe a good way to replace a broken damper
> lifter rod hook.  I just did one and there's got to be a better way.
> It was difficult to get the bend in the right place after driving the
> hook into the rod.
> Thanks,
>
> Jack
> jack_reeves@byu.edu

Hi, Jack. Fortunately this problem doesn't come up too often. The trick,
of course is putting the bend in the hook BEFORE inserting it into the
rod. Assuming that you have the lifter rod completely out of the action,
drill out the broken stub of the old one. Then, after already putting the
bend in whatever you're using for the hook, tap the lifter rod and put a
matching thread on your hook and simply turn it down until it matches the
height of the other ones. After re-installing the rod in the action to
make sure that you have it "el perfecto", you can hit it with a drop of
CA glue. Works for me.

Les Smith