prepped piano

Scott Thile sethile@msumusik.mursuky.edu
Thu, 11 Jan 1996 14:03:47 -0700 (MST)

Al Zajicek  R.P.T. writes:

>Our S&S D is to be used by the pianist from the St. Louis Symphony on
>Tues. 1-16-96.  She wants to mark nodes on the strings for plucking
>purposes with a "special wax pencil".  Following the performance she will
>remove the markings with a "special solvent that will not in any way
>damage the piano".  Evidently they have done this on pianos "all over the
>world", and have never run into any problems.  I am curious as to what
>these items are and if anyone has any input.  Thanks in advance.

Pianists I have worked with have used chalk for marking the strings
which easily brushes off without solvent.   I would not want a grease
pencil and solvent around the wound strings at all.  I would tactfully ask her
if any wound strings are involved, if so, I would then explain your concern
and suggest she use chalk instead

Scott
Scott E. Thile, RPT
Piano-Instrument Technician
Department of Music,Murray State University
P.O. Box 9, Murray, KY 42071, Ph:  502-762-4396
Email:  sethile@msumusik.mursuky.edu