Guests, lurkers and other non-CAUT types

GABRIEL ZWIERSKI 75120.1363@compuserve.com
Fri, 12 Jan 1996 08:59:59 -0500 (EST)

To the list,
      If anybody fits the definition of "guest" for this list, it would be me.
I"m not a CAUT (though I know several past and present).  I don't belong or
qualify for the RPTG (I don't tune(got tinnitus)).  I'm not even a piano
technician .  I'm a Finisher/cabinetmaker/restorer who has pretty much
specialized in pianos for the past 20 years and have subcontracted on an
extended basis with most of the major rebuilders and several dealers in the NYC
metro area during this time.  I am good at what I do.
      A number of thoughts have been fermenting and perculating in my head
since this thread started and it is time to outgas (hope it isn't a brainfart!).
      Point #1- This is a "public" list.  Anybody can join and/or contribute.
If there is misbehavior, the listowner can (and should) banish the miscreant
from the list.  If this list was strictly intended for a select group (i.e.
CAUT) then it should have been set up as a "private" list (by invitation or
referral only).  It wasn't, so I joined (BTW, I belong to 2 private lists) and
have enjoyed it ever since.
      Point #2- I see this list a bi-directional teaching/learning process
operating on several levels of expertise from basic to advanced.  Piano
technology is a multi-discipline process.  By definition, you have to be a
Jack-of-all-trades.  What might be your weak suite is probably someone elses
strong suite and any information exchange can benefit both parties involved (as
well as other interested persons) .  To paraphrase a byline seen in one list
"The only stupid question is the one that isn't asked".  I strongly believe that
just about everybody has a piece that they can contribute to your personal
and/or professional jigsaw puzzle, but you have to figure out what it is and
where it goes.  I've been asked many "stupid" questions during the course of my
career, which upon analysis (I thought about them! <G>) have lead to quantum
leaps in my level of professional knowledge and performance.  I feel that there
are many of us non-CAUT, non-RTPs out there that can make valuble and
intelligent contributions to this list.
      Point #3- As a matter of (N)ettiquite, even though I recieve this list in
digest mode, to avoid clutter, I primarily upload my replies privately to list
posts, unless I feel that it has listwide impact (you're reading one) or is
humorous enough to qualify.  I assume the recipients will repost anything I
upload that they feel is pertinent enough, back to the list.
      Point #4- IMO This list, being an extension of an organization, is bound
to get administrative traffic (Dirty laundry) from time to time.  This does not
appal or concern me, I just skip over it.  However if the amount of political
traffic began to impinge consistantly on the technological information flow, I,
for one, would welcome a split in the list (administration and technology). An
automaticaly generated index of the other list's daily traffic could be included
if needed (or wanted).  The administrative list could (and IMO should) be
"private", with membership limited to members of the RPTG.
      Point #5- As for the general traffic cluttering up CAUT to CAUT traffic,
I think this is a non-issue.  It became obvious even to me after reading a few
postings, who the CAUTs were.  It is a simple matter of looking at the author
and subject line of a downloaded message to determine if it was uploaded by a
CAUT or nonCAUT.  It then becomes a simple matter of choice.

      These are my opinions.  I do not intend for this to be a fishing
expedition (i.e. looking for responses).
            In search of knowledge
            Gabriel Zwierski