Thoughts: was a plea for public response! (long:-( )

Wippen@aol.com Wippen@aol.com
Fri, 12 Jan 1996 14:07:57 -0500

For what it is worth, here are a few thoughts that *might* make things a
little easier for all of us, whether we be RPT or Assc./Experienced or
Newbee/ CAUT or "in the field", or any other permutation or parameter you
care to class yourself in.

Fact #1: This list was created for the benefit of CAUT's and is owned by Jack
and BYU.
Fact #2  Jack *has* indicated several times that all are welcome.
Fact #3 When the list first began, there was a fraction of the regular
members (15-20) as compared to today( close to 300).
Fact #4 We seldom hear from most of those original guys.
Where did they go and why?
Fact #5  On-line time costs money.
Fact #6  All of us are very busy.

Newbees and lurkers...your questions are never "dumb" and they ARE welcome.
There is no one on this list that didn't start out as a beginner.But,
...check your pianotech archives first. Your question might have been already
asked and answered (thrice times) there. There is a wonderful Search Engine
to help you find your question/answer at
http://www.webcom.com/wind/ptsearch.html

All of us... do we ALL need to respond to EVERY SINGLE POST!!!
Cripes... how many Oriental Rodent anectdotes( Mao Tse Dung)
do we need to get the point??

All of us... I mentioned this before ..do we REALLY need to quote EVERY WORD
of sometimes multiple posts only to add a three word response. Someone did
that today,e.i., quoted someone elses long response to the quote of yet
another post and just added a thank you??!!  Seriously, considering that
nearly 300 copies of this go to the list, wouldn't a personal E-mail have
been more appropriate. Jeez!!

Messages of a SOCIAL or PERSONAL nature... the #pianotech channel on the IRC
is up and running and other channels are in the offing. That is the ideal
place to socialize,don't you think?

I'm a scuba diver when I have the time and I can tell you from personal
experience that if you put 10 divers in a crystal clear lagoon everyone
enjoys the beauty of the coral and the water. Put 300 divers in the same
lagoon and if everyone isn't careful the bottom gets stirred up, no one can
see and the coral gets damaged and divers are jeopardized.
 I'm not saying that there shouldn't be 300 divers in the lagoon,but all need
to remember the rules and be considerate.

We can all exist together and benefit on pianotech, but as it grows,IMO, we
better be mindful to not muddy -up the water so much.

End of Sermon. ( maybe it was the snow.......?)

If you need to flame me, have at it, but in deference to, and in
consideration of the others on the list, E-mail me personally

Paul Dempsey
Marshall University
wippen@aol.com