Diatonic temperament C to C from A440

Dennis Johnson johnsond@stolaf.edu
Fri, 12 Jan 1996 13:32:58 -0600

At  9:55 AM 1/12/96 -0700, Don Rose wrote:
>Hi all,
>
>I have a request from a local harpist for a Diatonic (all and only naturals)
>temperament from c4 to c5 with A 440  as a starting point. Does anyone out
>there have something like this?

_________

If you check out Jorgenson's first book I believe you will find some Greek
Diatonic scales that you can play with. I know there is one at least by
Eratosthenes. They really aren't difficult or complicated at all, being
just a series of just intervals. Many people seem to think that the Greeks
never got beyond pure fifths, but that is not true. Generally however, the
greek scales are notated between an E to E octave, which represent the two
tetrachords. In other words, a "Diatonic scale temperament" is a
contradiction in terms from a historical point of view.

Good Luck,

Dennis Johnson
St. Olaf College
johnsond@stolaf.edu