Steinway Upright Dampers

David Porritt dporritt@post.cis.smu.edu
Fri, 12 Jan 1996 19:35:02 -0600 (CST)

David,

One more thing you might check is the "non speaking" segments of
strings.  I have had some of those really ring.  I am a big believer in
string braid even where the manufacturer didn't use it.  I had an S&S "D"
the had a loud ring on B.  I checked every B,E,G,etc....  I finally found
a section of wire in the low tenor that was part of the rear duplex and
it was singing like gang busters.  A little string braid cut it out
completely.  On some upright scales these waste sections of string are
very long.

Worth a try.

Dave Porritt
SMU - Dallas