Fortepiano Tuning

L. Davidson Lamoreaux 102555.33@compuserve.com
Sun, 14 Jan 1996 18:46:13 -0500 (EST)

Mr Ball
Concerning your request about Fortepiano Tuning info. In the tunings I've done
at Smithsonian Inst. and for private indiv. (some profes. performers), I have
found a universal truth about pitch. The higher the pitch, the greater volume of
the instrument, and brighter the timbre. If you lower the pitch of the
fortepiano 60 cents, the piano will still sound pretty much the same but will be
a little softer and not as full a sound. Obviously like any other piano you will
need to go through the tuning several times to get it to stabilize. It should
work fine to do though and I think the musicians will do fine with it. Good luck
with it!
      David Lamoreaux, RPT
      Washington, DC Chapter PTG