Chickering damper regulation

NBarr18195@aol.com NBarr18195@aol.com
Mon, 15 Jan 1996 00:25:16 -0500

To Lorlin Barber;
I have successfully modified a Chickering damper system such as you described
but it is some trouble. If you want to take the time, I believe that the
results greatly simplify the regulation in the future.
The first step is to drill the damper lift block vertically so the damper
wire drops freely in it. Next drill horizontally to accept a damper bushing.
These bushings are shown in American Piano Supply's catalog on page 76, Part
#33965A. Be sure to order the screws to go with them. These steps modify the
damper lift block similar to most damper systems and can be regulated
normally. The drilling is not to difficult if you set up the proper jigs.
Another point to consider damper lever flange. The piano I worked on had
these flanges glued to the damper rail. The glue was breaking loose on some
of these levers so I drilled a hole through these flanges and used screws to
secure them to the rail.
I hope that this information is clear and of some help to you.