black keys

stanwood stanwood@tiac.net
Wed, 17 Jan 1996 19:10:23 -0500

>A friend of mine, who is also my accountant, purchased a Gr. piano real cheep.
>When I arrived at his home to tune it and do some "minor" repairs on it ALL the
>black keys were missing. (the wood key, the capstan, the ebony  and the
>back-check.)
>Could anyone out there suggest the type of wood the keys are made of.  Also how
>to go about cutting them and shape them to the neighboring white keys.
>Any input will be greatly appreciated.
>Thanks!
>
>George Takats

I would recommend that you send the frame to Bob Marinelli at Pianotech.
He can make a new set of 88 keys to fit the old frame.

            David C. Stanwood Stanwood@tiac.net
            West Tisbury, Massachusetts     USA
            On the Island of  Martha's Vineyard
        http://www.tiac.net/users/stanwood/st&co.htm

"The art in hammer making has ever been to obtain a solid,
 firm foundation, graduating in softness and elasticity toward
 the top surface, which latter has to be silky and elastic in
 order to produce a mild, soft tone for pianissimo playing, but
 with sufficient resistace back of it to permit the hard blow of
 fortissimo playing."                 - Alfred Dolge 1911