Cleaning Ivories

Jim_Harvey@yca.ccmail.compuserve.com Jim_Harvey@yca.ccmail.compuserve.com
Wed, 17 Jan 1996 19:13:33 -0500 (EST)

     You got it Dave!

     I've been in several situations that involved the indiscriminate use
     of alcohol by customers.

     Having read that sentence again, I should add that I've also been
     involved with (often futile) work on ivory keyboards belonging to these
     customers where alcohol was used as a solvent/cleaner. Used
     indiscriminately, alcohol seems to undermine the integrity of the bond
     between the ivory and wafer. Whether it does this as a result of direct
     action on the adhesive, or by warping the ivory, I don't know. That's
     why I said "alcohol [Vodka or otherwise] and ivories don't mix" in a
     earlier reply.

     In one sense, I suppose we could be grateful to have all the work
     resulting from such use. But it does seem a waste of good ivories.

     While the cleaner of choice is a factor to be considered, the real
     problem here lies not so much in what is used, but how much. Many
     people feel that if some is good, more is better. That's where the
     trouble begins.

     Jim Harvey RPT