Steinway "0" pinblock

Newton Hunt nhunt@rci.rutgers.edu
Fri, 19 Jan 1996 13:33:14 -0500

if there is a very even gap I would suggest cutting a strip of material to glue
into the space from about 4" from either end.

The other suggestion is to leave well enough along.  I have several Steinway
grnads which have had blocks fitted, before my time, that are not attached to
the stretcher.  These pianos seem to stay in tune as well as anyother Steinway
I know.  I like this idea least but having lived with the situation here I say
leave it alone.

Doweling will not substantially improve the tunability or stability.  Leave it
for the next rebuild and leave a note under the plate to explain the situation.

      Newton
      nhunt@rci.rutgers.edu