Light action (HELP)

Keith A. McGavern kam544@ionet.net
Sat, 20 Jan 1996 13:31:22 -0600

>>Keith,
>>
>>RE: Do I understand you correctly?
>>
>1) You have taken things said on Pianotech, posted them on another list,
>>either in full or in part,
>>2) that list is then redirecting questions and responses back at you, and
>>3) then you are coming on Pianotech again, looking for answers to those
>>questions and responses to redirect back at the other list.
>
>**************************
>
>  Yes, on occasion, I have. I have said so almost every time I have done it.
>To me, it's a continuation of the thread I recently started about
>communication between pianists/teachers and technicians.
>   From the comments I've gotten back from the piano list, they seem to
>appreciate my efforts. Some even feel like I've helped them to be more
>able to communicate with their technician.
>   From the tone of your post, I take it you don't agree with me doing this.
>May I ask why? If it will improve someone's knowledge about pianos, I don't
>see the problem.
>   Do others feel this way? If so, I will stop doing it. Since I have an
>interest in both performing and technical work, I thought it would be one
>way I might be able to contribute to pianists and to technicians.
>   If I'm wrong, please tell me.
>
>Avery Todd, RPT
>University of Houston
>atodd@uh.edu

Avery,

The concerns that seems to arise in my mind is this:

What I post to Pianotech is meant for Pianotech.  What that entails is the
concept I have of what Jack Reeves says Pianotech is for, and whom I
imagine in my mind constitute the majority of subscribers on Pianotech.  If
I wanted another list  to read what I am saying, I would probably present
it in a different fashion, or possibly not even speak of certain matters at
all.

If the other list asked a question of you and you came to Pianotech with
that question, I know any response I would post to you for that other list
would be more guarded, so to speak.  But in general, when I post to
Pianotech, whether asking questions or trying to supply answers, other
lists do not enter into the equation.

I guess if you have specific permission from an individual on Pianotech to
use their post that was not intended for another list for this activity,
that certainly seems appropiate.  But without that individual's permission,
I would have to conclude it is not acceptable.  Maybe some on Pianotech
don't feel this way, but I do.  If you have in fact been obtaining
permission each and every time, then the concern I have is a moot point,
and I apologize for any tone you perceived.

What you are doing is certainly a noble cause and most likely very
beneficial for the people involved.  It just seems that the other list is
wanting more than a simple clarification by your Light action (HELP) post.
What started out as a neat idea is mushrooming into something else.  I
don't know, maybe I'm all "wet behind the ears" on this thing.

Thank you for your patience and understanding.

Keith A. McGavern, RPT
Oklahoma Chapter 731
Oklahoma Baptist University
Shawnee, Oklahoma