Cleaning Ivories

Yardbird47@aol.com Yardbird47@aol.com
Sun, 21 Jan 1996 00:39:16 -0500

Jim Harvey rote, 1/17/96:
<<Having read that sentence again, I should add that I've also been involved
with (often futile) work on ivory keyboards belonging to these customers
where alcohol was used as a solvent/cleaner. Used indiscriminately, alcohol
seems to undermine the integrity of the bond between the ivory and wafer.
Whether it does this as a result of direct action on the adhesive, or by
warping the ivory, I don't know. That's why I said "alcohol [Vodka or
otherwise] and ivories don't mix" in a earlier reply.>>
       Boy that's news to me! Alcohol is my solvent/cleaner of choice because
as I explain to my customers, the alcohol evaporates before it has a chance
to warp the ivory (unlike water). It evaporates so fast that I have to have
the alcohol/felt scrubbing pad in one hand and paper towel in the other so
that I can pick up the grime before it dries out on me.
Tell me, how soon should I be seeing undone glue bonds? I've never heard of
this......Guess I'll have to start hitting up my customers for a glass of
milk (-I'll take a cookie with that, please).

Bill Ballard RPT
NH Chapter PTG

"If we see you SMOKING we will assume that you are on fire and will take
appropriate measures".......Sign in a Music Dept. Hallway