hitch pins

Tcoates@aol.com Tcoates@aol.com
Sun, 21 Jan 1996 14:36:55 -0500

It was suggested I explain how the hitch pin broke.  I don't have a clue.
 This is all part of a rebuild.  I checked the strings for seating to the
plate before I started chip tuning.

The piano in question is a 1901 S&S O.  The pin itself is very close to the
break between 18 and 17 gauge wire.  It sits next to a strut.

I must say, the hitch pins on this piano are the smallest I've seen.  Both in
height and thickness.

There was no bending or slow movement when it happened.  It just snapped off
at the base of the plate.

My theories are:  unknown human error or metal fatigue.

Tim Coates