Hitch Pins

Gilreath@aol.com Gilreath@aol.com
Mon, 22 Jan 1996 00:39:52 -0500

>In either case the pins are cast iron, NOT
>STEEL.

Les,

This brought up a point that I have been curious about for sometime and have
been unable to find an answer to my satisfaction.  According to my dictionary
steel is "Any of various generally hard, strong, durable, malleable alloys of
iron and carbon, usually containing between 0.2 and 1.5 percent carbon, often
with other constituents such as manganese, chromium, nickel, molybdenum,
copper, tungsten, cobalt or silicon, depending on the desired alloy
properties, and widely used a structural material." while cast iron is
defined as, "A hard brittle, nonmalleable iron carbon alloy containing 2.0 to
4.5 percent carbon, 0.5 to 3 percent silicon, and lesser amounts of sulfur,
maganese, and phosphorus."  The question is when does a material quaalify as
one and when does it qualify as another.  The biggest difference appears to
be the malleability of steel versus cast iron whereas in many cases steel
appears to be more pure iron that "cast iron" is.  BTW, that's from The
American Heritage Dictionary, 2nd College Edition copyright 1982.

Perhaps someone with some metallurgical background or a friend in the field
could shed some light on this.  Further, this might lead to an interesting
discussion concerning desirable qualities of alloys for plates including
rigidity, resonance (or lack thereof), malleability (or lack thereof) and
expense.

Any takers?

Allan Gilreath
Gilreath Piano & Organ Co.