hitchpins/iron

John Musselwhite musselj@cadvision.com
Mon, 22 Jan 1996 12:41:51 -0700

At 10:27 AM 1/22/96 -0700, you wrote:

>wrought iron is no longer manufactured, being substituted is mild
>steel (`wrought iron garden furniture f.i. is *not* true wrought
>iron). True wrought iron, made by the puddling process, is esp. noted
>for its strength and corrosion resistance. All the old iron machinery,
>locomotives etc. were wrought iron.

We are fortunate here to have an historical village in our town with a
working blacksmith's shop which does repairs to their extensive locomotive
and rolling stock collection as well as the antique farm equipment.. When we
require repairs to the wrought-iron clappers for our bells
(http://www.cadvision.com/Home_Pages/accounts/musselj/ringing.html)  a
donation to Heritage Park and a tip for the blacksmith gets them done,
rather than shipping them back to the bell foundry in England.

I'll talk to them when they re-open this spring about whether they could do
something like hitch-pins for me.

                John

John Musselwhite, RPT
Calgary, Alberta Canada