Re Light Action (HELP)

RobertD429@aol.com RobertD429@aol.com
Mon, 22 Jan 1996 14:29:36 -0500

>Those who believe that greater understanding of actions is arrived at
>through more and more detailed quantification should take more piano
lessons.
> Three pages of spreadsheets will not reveal as much about a piano as three
>measures of playing by educated fingers.  [Bob Hohf]

>This may sound
>incredibly unscientific, but I feel I can determine if the inertia level in
>piano will be acceptable to a majority of pianists by using certain licks.
>[Ken Sloane]

We struggle for quantification of semi-quantifiable things or of isolated
parts of systems either to understand the systems better or to achieve more
uniform and/or predictable results. Quanitification is nothing new in piano
work, nor is the search for more revealing descriptors. However, piano work
consists of thousands of tradeoffs, and there's no substitute for good sense,
experience, and shared knowledge, all of which which we can always use more
of. There is no one best setup - we consider the needs of the pianist and the
limitations of the piano, then choose one from a range of acceptable setups.

One of the best quick-and-dirty inertia tests I use is to put one hand on the
low tenor and one on the low treble, take five notes in a bunch with each
hand, and just bounce them up and down, pp to ff. Approximate time
investment, three seconds.  I don't know what it weighs - some keyboards just
feel too sloggy, and get further exploration.

Bob Davis
University of the Pacific
Stockton, CA