scientific approach (was light ac.)

Yardbird47@aol.com Yardbird47@aol.com
Wed, 24 Jan 1996 00:02:32 -0500

Stephen Birkettrote 1/22/96:
<<Don't agree.
Many physical parameters can be measured by round-about methods. For instance
hammer moment of inertia could easily be measured by removing the hammer,
swinging it from its pivot and timing the period of oscillation of the
compound pendulum. No special tools required.>>
When the hammer swing about its pivot, is its pivot still in the flange? Does
this mean that we're observing both the hammer moment of inertia and the
friction at its center? When this lever applies its when on the next below,
is there some way of calculating the distribution of that moment of inertia
on either side of the second arm of that lever (here the knuckle, and with
the repetition, the felted profile)? We all hunger for more than an educated
guess at a lever train's inertia.

I do enjoy your background in physics and your application of that to
fortepiano work. A delightful combination.

Bill Ballard RPT
NH Chapter, PTG

"There are fifty ways to screw up on this job. If you can think of twenty of
them, you're a genius......and you aint no genius"
Mickey Rourke to William Hurt, in "Body Heat", discussing arson.