Why I Like Balance Weights (was:Ham vs Am S&S)

Yardbird47@aol.com Yardbird47@aol.com
Wed, 24 Jan 1996 04:26:36 -0500

Steven J. Richardson rote, 1/22/96:
<<There are also two different types of friction which act in the
system--the static friction before the key is set in motion
and the friction when the parts are moving.  (Static friction is
larger than rolling/slipping friction.)>>
Yup, the old static and dynamic friction. That's why when I place my gram
weights on the key front, what I want is not the weight which when finally
released on the key comes immediately out of the starting gate and having
made it out, trots quickly through the key's stroke. This is the weight which
easily overcomes the static friction (which is always higher than the dynamic
friction). That friction barrier might amount to no more than 2% of the time
and distance of the key's stroke.
I'm interested in the other 98% of the stroke, during which the friction you
encounter is dynamic. To make sure that I'm drawing within a gram of the
dynamic friction I like to see the weight which can't break free of the
static friction's grip without a bump on the action frame, and which when
into the dynamic friction moves at the slowest possible motion, just short of
stalling. Frequently, the dynamic friction make vary as much as two grams
throughout the stroke. This is the friction gradient. Sorry folks, it comes
with the territory. At least, it never gets more than 2g. Think of this.
Cover the tip of your finger with a bandaid so that your fingertip is
insulated from direct tactile contact, close your eyes and have a friend
gently place a 2g wafer on top of your bandaid. Can you detect that 2g? Not
likely.

Bill Ballard RPT
NH Chapter, PTG

"There are fifty ways to screw up on this job. If you can think of twenty of
them, you're a genius......and you aint no genius"
Mickey Rourke to William Hurt, in "Body Heat", discussing arson.