Why I Like Balance Weights (was:Ham vs Am S&S)

stanwood stanwood@tiac.net
Wed, 24 Jan 1996 13:14:35 -0500

>Steven J. Richardson rote, 1/22/96:
><<There are also two different types of friction which act in the
>system--the static friction before the key is set in motion
>and the friction when the parts are moving.  (Static friction is
>larger than rolling/slipping friction.)>>

Static friction is not the whole reason for having to rap the rail to start
the key down when measuring downWt.  The coinciding arcs of the jack head
and the knuckle contact point are most out of align at the top of the stroke
so the friction at the knuckle is at its highest point.  Through the stroke
of the key that friction diminishes as the jack/knuckle contact point
approaches the line between the wip and hammer flange centers.

Also dynamic friction is much higher during playing because the parts are
thrown hard against eachother with much higher forces when the key is struck
as apposed to when we measure the up/down weight.

Lots to think about!

Stanwood