Your post re: Balance Weight

stanwood stanwood@tiac.net
Wed, 24 Jan 1996 13:14:33 -0500

>up weights of 10 to 15g your fingers may frequently find themselves losing
>contact with the keys as they return faster than the keys.

>Bill Ballard RPT

Anytime the note sounds the repetition spring is engaged, when the key is
released the rep spring pushes against the levered mass of the hammer and
pushed the key up to rest position, so repetition speed is not a function of
just upweight.  Upweight is measured without engaging the rep spring.

I recall a pianist who played a concert on a new Steinway D a couple of
years ago.  There was a little too much lead in the keys and many upweights
were on the order of
5 - 10 grams.  The pianist did'nt complain and played a very nice concert
with lots of fast passage work.  We rebalanced the action anyway.

Stanwood