Re light action (help)

Kenneth Sloane Kenneth_Sloane@qmgate.cc.oberlin.edu
Wed, 24 Jan 1996 15:08:31 -0400

                      Subject:                              Time:  2:49 PM
  OFFICE MEMO         Re light action (help)                Date:  1/24/96

--------------Former Post-------------
I lost the post somehow, but Bill Ballard said something about friction
helping to add control  for a pianist throughout the stroke of a key.

-------------Reply---------------

I could not agree more, especially a little friction at the key bushings. This
provides some predictable resistance for the pianist, and if the "play" at the
key pins is constant, it really helps to make a piano feel even. Just be
careful to not make the piano feel too heavy or slow key return so that
repetition suffers. If your upweight becomes less than "ideal", it may not be
cause for concern (D. Stanwood had a post recently about a misleveraged piano
with 5 to 10 grams UW that repeated OK, and I have seen similar occurrences
myself). Lubricating the key pins will help, and keeping checking high will
remedy a multitude of regulating sins as far as repetition is concerned.

Ken Sloane, Oberlin Conservatory