Re light action (help)

stanwood stanwood@tiac.net
Wed, 24 Jan 1996 16:26:22 -0500

>I could not agree more, especially a little friction at the key bushings. This
>provides some predictable resistance for the pianist

>Ken Sloane, Oberlin Conservatory

It's interesting to note that Steinway used to specify both  up weight and
down weight, for each note across the scale, thereby specifying total
friction weight.  By changing their upweight to 20g (-2g or + any amount),
the have despecified the standards for touchweight... they are less specific.

Steinway openly favors "as little friction as possible without side play" in
the hammer flange.  It would seem that one could argue against this by
saying that friction gives control.  By the same token one could argue for
this by saying that modern hammers are heavier an therefore dynamic friction
at the knuckle is higher which, to some effect, would compensate for
speculative loss of control by lower flange frictions.

In my early days I did alot of extreme hammer lightening and found that
hammer flange friction was a major factor in control of the action by the
pianist.  I even have a useless patent for an adjustable friction hammer
flange(too expensive to make).

Now with higher hammer weights and adjusting leverage, I'm finding that
weight consistancy is the major factor.  I don't like to see big differences
in strike weight from note to note, and I don't like to see friction
inconsistancy causing front weight inconsistancies in the weigh off,
otherwise you have unhappy pianists.

Just rambling...

David C. Stanwood