Re duplex scales

Keith A. McGavern kam544@ionet.net
Wed, 24 Jan 1996 23:35:40 -0600

>                      Subject:                              Time:  9:09 PM
>  OFFICE MEMO         Re duplex scales                      Date:  1/23/96
>
>------------original post------------
>
>As a result of the duplex postings on Pianotech, I made an observation late
>Sunday night while tuning two Steinway D's that has me puzzled.
>
>I noticed stringing braid from the area of Ab3 to D#5 in the area where the
>duplex scale exists.  From E5 to C8 the duplex scale continued without
>stringing braid.  These pianos are a 1963 and a 1967.  Am I missing
>something here?  Of what value is the duplex scale in the section where the
>stringing braid exists?  This is factory installed.
>
>Keith A. McGavern, RPT
>Oklahoma Chapter 731
>Oklahoma Baptist University
>Shawnee, Oklahoma
>
>--------------reply--------------
>
>Later years saw the removal of the stringing braid in the area to which you
>refer with the exception of the first few notes (I hope my memory serves me
>correctly here). I have had to mute out the next few notes on a "D" we have
>here at Oberlin purchased in the mid '80's. They were so "active" that
>pianists used to complain about their speaking after all notes were released.
>
>Ken Sloane, Oberlin Conservatory

Thanks for the comments, Ken.  Surely, you and I are not the only ones on
Pianotech to have noticed this oddity.  Strange if so.

Based on what you indicated, it seems to me that someone could change the
voice on these particular instruments to some degree by removing all or
parts of the stringing braid.