Tuning Frequency

Jim_Harvey@yca.ccmail.compuserve.com Jim_Harvey@yca.ccmail.compuserve.com
Sat, 27 Jan 1996 10:08:27 -0500 (EST)

     Bill,

     I can't see that you've had a response to this post. The subject
     has probably been kicked to death before either of us were on the
     list, causing menu fatigue. I'm gonna respond with my thoughts,
     since, until now, I didn't have the information I'm about to
     describe anyway.

     While I'm not directly employed by a college or university, I
     perform periodic tunings (and sometimes maintenence) for several.
     I have been responsible for three colleges/universities on my
     own, and assisted colleagues at two others. Because of what I'm
     about to say, I've had to cut back to two 'self-contained' and
     one assist due to 'timing considerations'.

     Preface: In keeping with your Journal scribes about "let 'em
     float"; floating was not an option in these cases (even on
     practice pianos) as mandated by the powers-that-be. In some
     locations, I was yanking pitch up *and* down as much as 50c
     between fall and winter tunings -- fall being a week or so before
     school begins, winter being (hopefully) the Christmas break or
     shortly thereafter. I tried a variation of the 'float' theme. It
     worked both in theory and in reality, but nontheless backfired,
     and came close to jeopardizing my work agreements with the
     schools.

     What worked: Considering the dates that "back to school" occurs,
     my idea was to delay the fall tunings by a few weeks, until the
     heating systems in the plants could kick in and have an effect on
     the pianos. More to my delight than surprise, the experiment
     worked. I only had to tune, not change pitch -- at least not
     radically. Of course, the (recent) winter tunings still reflected
     the ambiant, heated environment, so there was little change
     between these two scheduled intervals.

     What backfired: I failed to mention my experiment to those in
     charge. As a result, all they knew to think was that I failed to
     perform in a timely fashion (fall), and their pianos sounded like
     dog meat. When I offered an explanation, they listened, but were
     not impressed.

     Bottom line: In *every* instance, these schools wanted their
     pianos at pitch, and in tune, when the students return in the
     fall. Likewise on return from the mid-winter break. No options,
     no variations, regardless of more stable pianos, and regardless
     of budget considerations. The only exceptions are performance
     pianos, which get tuned on demand, based on prevailing needs.

     Not being too old to learn, I've also picked up a few tips from
     my colleagues that makes my (discounted) work more productive,
     while maintaining efficiency. But that's not what your question
     was about.

     Regards/Jim Harvey RPT