Science & Metrology

stanwood stanwood@tiac.net
Sat, 27 Jan 1996 08:28:43 -0500

>To know a piano action is to know the following:

>1. How much weight is thrown into the string?
>2. How is the weight thrown?
>3. How is the weight balanced?
>4. How much friction in the system

>I have found that these parameters may be quantified by measuring:

>1. Strike Weight
>2. Strike Ratio
>3. Balance Weight
>4. Friction weight

>These four quantities are a function of:

>Up weight
>Down weight
>Front weight
>Strike Weight

This is stated improperly.  I was in a mad rush yesterday.  I changed my
schedule so I'm no longer in a mad rush.  Whew!

I would rather have stated it this way:

To know a piano action is to know the following:

1. How much weight is thrown into the string?
2. How is the weight thrown?
3. How is the weight balanced?
4. How much friction in the system

I have found that these parameters may be quantified by finding:

1. Strike Weight
2. Strike Ratio
3. Balance Weight
4. Friction weight

These four quantities are a function of the first four and may be found by
measuring:

Up weight
Down weight
Front weight
Strike Weight

There, that's better.

Stanwood

            David C. Stanwood-Stanwood@tiac.net
            West Tisbury, Massachusetts     USA
            On the Island of  Martha's Vineyard
        http://www.tiac.net/users/stanwood/st&co.htm

"The art in hammer making has ever been to obtain a solid,
 firm foundation, graduating in softness and elasticity toward
 the top surface, which latter has to be silky and elastic in
 order to produce a mild, soft tone for pianissimo playing, but
 with sufficient resistace back of it to permit the hard blow of
 fortissimo playing."                 - Alfred Dolge 1911