New action-parts problem

A440A@aol.com A440A@aol.com
Tue, 30 Jan 1996 06:07:57 -0500

      The  problem of "submerged hammers" not finding their way to the top of
the jacks under fast repetition can also be caused by a let-off that is close
enough to allow the hammer being driven into the zone of string excursion
before escapement is complete. This will allow tremendous rebound speeds,
often sending the hammer to the rest cushion before the key begins to lift,
trapping the hammer-tail "under" the back-check.

     I respectfully suggest that you make sure that let-off is low enough to
miss the string when the string is at maximum amplitude.  I have seen this
problem occur mainly in the middle section of the larger pianos.( I tend to
set let-off very close on high profile/maintainence pianos).

regards,

Ed Foote