New action-parts problem

RobertD429@aol.com RobertD429@aol.com
Tue, 30 Jan 1996 03:26:28 -0500

>>Here is what happens: On fast repetition, the hammer gets stuck in the
>>backcheck before the jack re-sets.

As the hammer gets lighter, the repetition spring is adjusted lighter for the
same speed of lift. Check the repetition lever centers, and make sure they
are at least normally tight or a little tighter. It isn't the real fix for
the problem (getting the right relationship between the action parts and the
strings is), but the stiffer spring tension will at least help in two ways.
1) it will speed up the jack. 2) it will help push the hammer back up to rest
position.

Ken Sloane wrote an interesting article about the jamming problem, including
a discussion of hammer tail length and checking, and I think there was a
reply from Steinway. Ken will probably give us the date of the issue.

>> Could slight change in hammer bore + - 3/16 affect this.<
3/16 is not slight.

Good luck,
Bob Davis