Scientific American article

Keith A. McGavern kam544@ionet.net
Wed, 31 Jan 1996 01:11:48 -0600

Back in December 1995, Danny Dover posted:
>Of all places, the latest issue of Scientific American (December 95) contains
>an outstanding tribute to concert piano technicians.  Written by a concert
>artist, the article is accurate and thoughtful, and presents the top people in
>our profession as a dying breed, to be considered an invaluable resource, and
>discusses the shortage of training options available.
>
>I urge everyone to read it.  Show it to your customers.  This article deserves
>wide distribution.  PTG Home Office, are you listening?

Just have to share this with you all.

Oddly enough, today a country bumpkin type person approached me in a church
santuary while tuning.  I didn't think much of him until he starting
talking about some article he read about tuning being a dying art.  I
spouted, "That wouldn't have been Scientific American, would it?"  We
looked at each other in a whole new light from that moment on.  About 45
minutes later and incredible conversation, I discovered this country
bumpkin has been a pilot since 14 years old.  Grew up about 15 miles from
where I live.

His idea of going to work these days is flying to Pittsburg from OKC,
spending about 3-4 days piloting for US Air, then returning to Oklahoma to
be with his family.  Apparently, US Air doesn't operate in OK.  He dabbles
in music appreciation as one of his loves in life.  Even has a tuning lever
for touching up his own piano.  What an astonishing individual, and we
probably would never have truly met if it hadn't been for that great
article in Scientific American and the mention of it here on good ole
Pianotech.

What a joy it is to be alive and experience these great gifts.

Keith A. McGavern, RPT
Oklahoma Chapter 731
Oklahoma Baptist University
Shawnee, Oklahoma