Pin Dope AND Hot Stuff AND Dampp-Chasers

Vanderhoofven dkvander@clandjop.com
Wed, 31 Jan 1996 10:29:29 -0600

At 06:52 PM 1/30/96 -0700, you wrote:

>>Try thin viscosity Hot stuff
>>Robert S. Bussell RPT
>
>The super glue, being very thin, actually travels down the capillaries of the
>wood and then hardens.  <snip>   The glue acts to prevents slippage by
>grabbing the pin, by filling small cracks as it travels down the wood's
>capillaries, and by replacing the air in the dry wood with a solid.  It has a
>very positive effect.
>
>Speaking of which, I  worry that the Kawai that Don Rose talked about may
>have suffered some separated laminations of the pinblock...and what will Pin
>Dope or even oversized pins do for that?  Super glue does offer some, albeit
>limited, ability to help with this problem.
>
>Personally, I was surprised to read that any of you recommend pin dope
<snip>. >
>David Sanderson
>Littleton, MA
>Pianobiz@aol.com

I have had two customers whose console size pianos were very dry, and there
were visible cracks between the back of the pinblock and the back frame of
the piano.
One of the pianos even had some separation between some of the layers of the
pinblock.  Knowing that the cost to rebuild these pianos with a new pinblock
was out of the question, And warning them in advance that this was a last
resort try to repair some of this damage, I dripped the thin viscosity Hot
Stuff into every visible crack in those pinblocks.  It took several
applications of the CA glue before the cracks were filled.

After this application, the tuning pins were, in effect, locked in place by
the Hot Stuff.  It took quite a bit of effort to move the tuning pin after
the glue had hardened.  But it seemed that the tension on the tuning pins
was much higher than it had been, and tuning seemed to be normal after this.
Only time will tell the results of this method, as I only did this in
December.  Several years from now, who knows what will happen? But at least
the pianos are tuneable now.

Since we are discussing this on Pianotech right now, I thought I would ask
if this is an acceptable repair?

About Pin Dope,  I have never used it, and I have seen several pianos that
were ruined by it.  I have also seen several pianos that the stuff didn't
work and the needed to be rebuilt anyway.  I have been taught that Pin Dope
is a method of Last Resort, only if everything has failed.

Before using the Pin Dope, have you tried installing a five part
Dampp-Chaser system to add needed moisture back into the piano?  I would
consider this something that should be tried before resorting to Pin Dope.

Sincerely,

David A. Vanderhoofven
dkvander@clandjop.com
Joplin, Missouri, USA
Associate Member, Piano Technicians Guild
web page:  http://www.clandjop.com/~dkvander/