Pin Dope AND Hot Stuff AND Dampp-Chasers

Keith A. McGavern kam544@ionet.net
Wed, 31 Jan 1996 12:54:35 -0600

>Since we are discussing this on Pianotech right now, I thought I would ask
>if this is an acceptable repair?

It's sounds like you made a professional decision in this particular
instance, David.

>About Pin Dope,  I have never used it, and I have seen several pianos that
>were ruined by it.  I have also seen several pianos that the stuff didn't
>work and the needed to be rebuilt anyway.  I have been taught that Pin Dope
>is a method of Last Resort, only if everything has failed.

For the record pin dope is a slang term and possibly meant to be a
disparaging one as well.  Garfield's officially calls their product Pin
Block Restorer.

In certain situations applying tuning pin solution is an acceptable method
of repair.

Keith A. McGavern, RPT
Oklahoma Chapter 731
Oklahoma Baptist University