Drifting Jacks

Newton Hunt nhunt@rci.rutgers.edu
Tue, 05 Mar 1996 21:16:27 -0500

Well, since my name was invoked on this threat I may as well comment.

First, jack moving is caused my wook warping in an undesirable direction, wear
or all the others listed by other techs.

The best, simple solution is to remove the "wippen", not "action", support the
arm holding the jack in place TOWARD to which you wish the jack to move and tap
the jack top lightly with a small hammer to bend the center pin slightly, then
check that you have free movement of the jack.

Since you are new at the endevor I would suggest you get a competent t/t to
help you.  Old K&B actions can be wierd as all getout and replacement parts are
NOT available. PERIOD.

Repinning is for the talented and instructed.  With old and nonreplaceable
parts the best solution is to remove the old pin, find the pin that fits the
birdseye and check that pin the the bushings, ream and burnish as needed.  If
the removed pin is bend the fit a straight pin in and check jack location.  If
the removed pin is straight then use  wire bending pliers to put a bend in the
pin near the blunt end.  Insert the pin and as the bent part goes into the
bushing rotate it and continue inserting until you see the jack top move.  When
it is in the desired location clip both ends of the pin and check for free
movement of the jack.

The advice of getting the books is the best.  Go to a rebuilder and get some
old parts to practice on before attempting your piano.

You are about to imbark upon a great venture requiring fasting, incense
burning, prayers and homage to the great god born in each piano MURPHY.

Lotsa luck fella.

	Newton
	nhunt@rci.rutgers.edu

I hate Kronic Bachaches!