Glides and after touch

Robert S. Bussell rbussell@iquest.net
Wed, 06 Mar 1996 08:14 -0500 (EST)

       I have heard of some very respected Techs who will set the glides a
little extra deep to increase dip and after touch.  My question is how far
can we go with this?   Assuming that the glides are set correctly in the
first place, would an increase of 1.5mm key height be too much?  What are
the dangers of doing this? (Please don't tell I'll know I've gone too far
when I have buried the hammer flange screws into the pinblock)  Does the
brand of piano make a difference? (i.e. sturdiness vs. flexabilty of key
frame) How does weather changes affect these setting?

Addendum to my last post:

        When I wrote of a key height change, I did not to intent to discuss
the paramenters of Key Height.  I am already well aware of the relationships
of key to front rail pin, key to key slip, key to fall board, as well as
Pfeiffer's alignment of Balance rail hole, capstan plane, whippen flange
center to establish the half way point of key stroke. What I am hoping to
find discussion on is those less than ideal times when establishing correct
dip, after touch, and key height is not an option.
Bob,
Robert S. Bussell RPT
Indianapolis In.
rbussell@iquest.net