Respect, glides and aftertouch

Matthew Doudt mjdoudt@iquest.net
Thu, 07 Mar 1996 07:34 -0500 (EST)

t 12:27 PM 3/6/96 -0700, you wrote:
>On Wed, 6 Mar 1996 GerryLisa@aol.com wrote:
>
>> Setting the glide buttons to a position higher than what they are intended
>> will only make the keyframe "rock".  Those "experienced" technicians should
>> know better.
>     I agree with this comment, GerryLisa, but could you please
>remember to sign your posts, so we know who you are?

To both of you above:

I believe that the original question was asked in a highly intelligent manor
and frankly deserves much more respect than both of you "experienced"
technicians gave it.  I am constantly amazed at the lack of consideration
and unintelligent, useless stabs made at some of the more thought-out
questions.  I have heard some of the most gifted technicians associated with
some of the most prestigious pianos discuss the merits of glide height and
aftertouch.  I feel often, as I do now, that some of you read the first
sentence, or rather only the subject line and jump at the chance to throw
your 'expertise' around.  I wonder if you even took the time to read the
entire question and could you have possibly even misunderstood what was
being asked.

Some folks are intimidated by an intelligent question and need to satisfy
their lack of understanding by degrading those who really seek the answer.
The above two responses serve no one but their authors and have no purpose
being shared with all.  Remember, there are no stupid questions.  We all
started somewhere and we all asked them at one time.  A truly intelligent
person could answer even a simple question in a manor that would help the
inquisitor to learn something and let the rest of us know they are someone
to be respected in this profession.  I think we could all benefit from a
little less harassment and a little more professionalism.

I am patiently awaiting a more genuine response to Mr. Bussell's well
thought out question.

Sincerely,

Matthew Doudt
Indianapolis, IN

P.S.  Thank you Bob Davis.  I just read your 'entire' responce.  I hope the
above authors did too!