Piano use policy for outside groups (fwd)

Avery Todd ATodd@UH.EDU
Fri, 08 Mar 1996 13:14:47 -0600

>Hi all,
>
>Our music department is trying to develop a policy regarding the use of
>our pianos to persons and/or organizations outside the jurisdiction of
>the department.  This would include private teachers in the area who wish
>to use our facilities for recitals, workshops, etc.
>
>I would be very interested in obtaining copies of any policies you may
>have in place regarding users fees, tuning fees, insurance requirements,
>custodial services etc.
>
>If you feel that this is a good topic for discussion on the list, then by
>all means lets begin a dialog.
>
>Regards
>Paul Kupelian, RPT
>kupelian@oswego.edu

Paul,
   I would also be very interested in this. Our building is used
extensively by outside piano teachers groups and other music related groups
and I believe we need to develop a policy, in writing, also.
   The only thing we do is charge $150.00 for the use of our Recital Hall,
plus another $150.00 for the use of all the other rooms, if used; i.e.
teacher's studios, classrooms, practice rooms, etc. Certain months of the
year cannot be booked at all because of the heavy demand of recitals, etc.
That's all the "policy" we have. I imagine the low cost is primarily
because the dept. consideres it a good recruitment tool, exposing the kids
to the music department and, sometimes, a few of our faculty are involved.
   For obvious reasons, I would like to have a policy about tuning the
pianos in  the rooms to be used. Many times I have had to drop whatever
project I had going and tune multiple rooms because of some teachers group
coming in. Should there be a per piano fee, or perhaps a flat fee, for
doing this? Charged by the university or the technician?
   The flip side of that is the pianos obviously needed tuning in the first
place or I wouldn't have done them. I try to keep them in good shape, but
sometimes, I just can't get to them all (especially the verticals) to keep
them all in good tune all the time.
   One problem we have had, and you might want to keep in mind, is the
moving of furniture, pianos, music stands, chairs, etc. around to the
various rooms and then not putting everything back where it was. On
weekends, how can you police that? In one instance, a teacher's grand had
been moved to the other side of the studio and left there. The desk was
also moved. This can cause some hard feelings between the faculty and
office staff who schedule these events.
   Another question along this same line is, should we charge for the
tuning when alumni come here to give a recital, not school sponsored? This
also happens frequently here.
   I don't want to gouge anyone, but with the workload I (and most of you)
already have, should some extra compensation be expected/charged?
   I would really be interested in comments any of you might have. Thanks.

Avery Todd, RPT
School of Music
University of Houston
atodd@uh.edu