Plastic Jacks

DaleP34429@aol.com DaleP34429@aol.com
Sun, 10 Mar 1996 00:29:46 -0500

>My questions: are any of the standard replacement jacks the right size to
>replace these?  Is it easier (this is, of course, a relative term since
there
>will be no EASY way to do this) to replace them flange and all, or repin all
>the jacks?  Having never done such a horrible job, I have no idea how long
it
>might take so I can't estimate a price for labor ... 3 hours?  3 day?

It would help to know how much of the action is plastic. We have run into the
following plastic parts: damper flanges/levers, wippen, hammer and jack
flanges, jacks, backchecks, and lifter elbows. If the wippen has plastic
jacks only, you can order replacements jacks only(APSCO # 244545) or jack &
flanges assembled (APSCO#244454).  If the jack flange is wooden, we replace
the jack. If the flange is plastic, we replace the assembly. Allow 6-8 hours
to install and regulate depending on your speed. It can be done in home or
shop. If the wippen has two or more plastic parts, we replace the wippen. In
our area (No. TX, So.OK) the plastic damper parts have held up fairly well
until they need regulation, which is fatal. Be aware that in many cases
wooden replacement parts are not identical to the plastic and may need
modification .Especially if you are replacing flanges/wippens on  the Pratt
Read actions with metal action rails. In our opinion, this is a repair that
can be hard to justify unless the piano is of better quality and condition
than most. The compressed action is funky at best.We have done it when the
customer makes an informed decision that is based on sentiment, not logic.
Hope this helps and invite you to consider adding RPT to your signature.

Regards,

Dale Probst & Elizabeth Ward
Registered Piano Technicians
Ward & Probst, Inc.