Plastic Jacks

Keith McGavern kam544@ionet.net
Sat, 09 Mar 1996 23:11:41 -0600

Part of Barb Barasa's post:

>...My questions: are any of the standard replacement jacks the right size to
>replace these...

The last time I did this type of work (years ago) there were parts
available that were the correct size.

>...Is it easier (this is, of course, a relative term since there
>will be no EASY way to do this) to replace them flange and all, or repin all
>the jacks?...

Main thing...replace the plastic, jacks and/or flanges.

>...Having never done such a horrible job...

It really isn't a horrible job, Barb.  Consider it an excellent opportunity
to learn more about vertical actions and receive renumeration to boot.

>...I have no idea how long it
>might take so I can't estimate a price for labor ... 3 hours?  3 day?...

I would estimate a full day's involvement minimum.  This includes ordering
the parts, service call to remove the action, shop time to replace
defective parts, service call to reinstall action and regulate.  After all
is done, you will know whether the time was adequate or not for the next
job.

>...The ultimate question: is there ANY justification for repairing these
>things?...

The only justification I would need is if the customer still wants the work
done on their piano after they have been advised of the costs of repair
versus investing the same money in another instrument.

Keith McGavern, RPT
kam544@ionet.net
Oklahoma Baptist University
Shawnee, Oklahoma, USA