Plastic Jacks

Gordon Wilson gwilson@prairienet.org
Mon, 11 Mar 1996 08:16:50 -0600 (CST)

On Sun, 10 Mar 1996, Newton Hunt wrote:

> This type of plastic can become so friable that a little squeeze of the fingers
> can crumble it beyond repair.
>
> It may be more effecient to replace the wippens.  Do check the dampers,
>     Newton
>     nhunt@rci.rutgers.edu

I have learned from experience (both the aforementioned good and bad) to
point out, explain and estimate complete replacement of all of the
accursed yellow plastic parts.  Yes, even the backchecks will fall off
like dying desert flies...even heavy breathing has been known to (well,
maybe) fracture these parts.  If you stand well back from the piano and
gesture wildly, just maybe the client won't try to blame you for the problem!

Gordon

       Gordon Wilson                      Keyboard Studio
       voice 217.328.3975                 304 N. Maple Street
       fax   217.328.3983                 Suite 203
toll-free    800.821.1197                 Urbana, IL 61801
             e-mail   gwilson@prairienet.org
     home page    http://www.cu-online.com/~gwilson
  "Music?  Computers?  Both!?  We want to help!"

                      PIANOTECH Digest 242

Topics covered in this issue include:

  1) Re: Otto Higel Co
      by Les Smith <lessmith@buffnet.net>
  2) Re: Otto Higel Co
      by Allen Leigh <allen@pengar.com>
  3) Re: Otto Higel Co
      by Vince Mrykalo <REEVESJ@ucs.byu.edu>
  4) Barb re; Plastic Jacks
      by JIMRPT@aol.com
  5) Re: piano action travel dolly
      by jpage@selway.umt.edu (Jeff Stickney)
  6) Re: piano recommendation
      by fyonley@usa.pipeline.com (Fred Yonley)
  7) Re: Otto Higel Co
      by Paul Kupelian <kupelian@Oswego.Oswego.EDU>
  8) 85 note pianos
      by kam544@ionet.net (Keith McGavern)
  9) Re: Barb re; Plastic Jacks
      by Les Smith <lessmith@buffnet.net>
 10) Softening Hardened Damper Felts
      by Arnold <arnold@nando.net>
 11) Re: Softening Hardened Damper Felts
      by stanwood@tiac.net (stanwood)
 12) Hazards
      by johnsond@stolaf.edu (Dennis Johnson)
 13) Re: Teacher discounts
      by sethile@msumusik.mursuky.edu (Scott Thile)
 14) Re: Softening Hardened Damper Felts
      by twfic@netcom.netcom.com (Ty Fairchild)
 15) Re: 85 note pianos
      by Wippen@aol.com
 16) Re: Otto Higel Co
      by twfic@netcom.netcom.com (Ty Fairchild)
 17) Re: 88 note pianos
      by Pianocraft@aol.com
 18) Re: Softening Hardened Damper Felts
      by TUNERJIM@aol.com
 19) Re: piano action travel dolly
      by Wally Wilson <University of Charleston>
 20) Re: piano recommendation
      by Wally Wilson <University of Charleston>
 21) Miracle Polishing Cloth
      by "S. Brady" <sbrady@u.washington.edu>
 22) String cans
      by Tunrboy@aol.com