88 note pianos

Tunrboy@aol.com Tunrboy@aol.com
Mon, 11 Mar 1996 22:03:18 -0500

>Dear Subscribers,
>
>Does someone know the history and/or purposes for these pianos being made
>without the top three notes?

Does someone know the history and/or purposes for these pianos being made
with the extra top three notes?

JH

Ask any pianist what they prefer!  It is not a matter of "sounding better" or
that those notes "never get played anyway", it is a matter of spatial
positioning.  Many pianists *need* the full 88 keys to give them the visual
cues as to where their fingers lie.  (I know I do)  Try this:  play Brahms
Op. 118 No. 2 on a short keyboard (actually, any Brahms will do).  You'll see
what I mean.  (Kinda like having no ")" on the end of your apositive phrase.
Secondly, and this is gleaned from Ray Chandler, what of the sympathetic
vibrations produced by nearly two octaves of non-dampered strings?  Do these
lend to the tone and expansiveness of the instrument?  Without those top
strings, will something (namely sympathetic and harmonic vibrations) be
lacking?

Eric Leatha
tunrboy@aol.com